Saturday, January 9, 2021

Peculiar Problems During Lockdown

I am glad that the Government has extended the lockdown in Thimphu and Paro for a further period of 2 weeks. Hopefully, we are able to break the chain of transmission by then and should there be any undetected or unreported active cases elsewhere in other Dzongkhags, we would come to know of them.

There is no doubt that this lockdown would cause all sorts of inconveniences to a lot of people. Inconveniences would be an understatement – I can imagine a few hundred problems people may be facing – different kind of problems at different levels of society. We are already seeing one ugly face of lockdown – a spike in domestic violence.

The rich may have the money to buy whatever they fancy – at whatever asking price. Unfortunately, they have a problem – their money cannot buy what is not there to be had. The poor man on the other hand has a problem quite distinct from that of the rich man – he has the problem of lack of purchasing power – he does not have money to buy the most basic needs – not even at half the price.

There are rumors of incidences where clandestine lovers got caught in the lockdown - in hotel rooms – with someone else’s wives. By contrast, lovers are pinning away for company and togetherness – rudely separated by the lockdown, at each far end of the city.

My problem I suppose is something of a universal problem – how to stop gaining weight during these inactive times. The moment I heard that the lockdown is being extended by two more weeks – I got serious about keeping the weight down. My answer:

Oranges and Kiwi Fruits

I determined that the first step - for a while at least - is to cut down on intake of carbs - cut down on the rice. As of yesterday, I am onto fruits - oranges and kiwi fruits - I don't like apples. I hope it helps. And I hope these fruits remain to be available - until the end of lockdown.

2 comments: