Saturday, January 22, 2022

Kholongchu Hydropower Project: Coming or Going?

It is heartwarming to read in this morning’s Kuensel that the Kholongchu Hydropower Project is stalled and that the dam site is overrun by undergrowth. From where I stand, any reason - irrespective of what it is - will be a good reason for scrapping the project. In my reading, this project is the MOST DANGEROUS of all the hydro projects that has happened so far.
I have always said that I am NOT against hydropower projects – but that I am against the manner in which they have been done. But in the case of KHEL – I am dead against the project even if it is done correctly:

-  even if the entire project work is handled by Bhutanese contractors;
-  even if stone aggregates are mined and supplied by Bhutanese mine owners;
-  even if cement and rods are supplied by our own factories;
-  even if trucks and construction machineries are supplied by Bhutanese owners;
-  even if  vegetables are supplied by Doksumpas or Sharchokpas;
-  even if project dwellings are constructed by Bhutanese house owners.

Close to seven years back – on 19th February, 2015, I called for the closure of the Punasangchu Projects – since then it has been an annual event for me – calling for their closure. They are still standing – but I believe - just barely. The recent talk of doing a barrage in place of a dam at PHPE I is the early signs that the Project is going down. They know damn well that a barrage will not work.

Anyway, let them re-do their mathematics and take a harder look at the geological realities of the location. Thankfully, regardless of the Project authorities adamantly refusing to do the right thing, nature has been quietly showing its hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment