Sunday, March 20, 2011

Oriental White-eye

The photograph below is that of an Oriental White-eye (Zosterops palpebrosus), a small bird no bigger than 10cm. It is seen feeding on the nectar of a Bottle-brush flower. The photo was shot at Mangdechu where I had gone a few days back to see my dad.


Spring is here and the birds and the flowers are going to come alive. In the next few weeks, I will start my quest for birds and flowers. Trek to the Alpine regions will be shelved until end September when I will start the biggest trek of my life - the stupendous Snowman Trek that is likely to take me close to a month to complete.
Originally I had planned that I will start my chase for the birds from Kheng area. But I changed my mind since I have the exciting possibility of photographing a nesting Rufous-necked Hornbill (Aceros nipalensis). They nest during May and a nest has been located in the lower Kheng area. I want to be there! So, I will start with the East first.
This year, I want to try and photograph the elusive Ward’s Trogon (Harpactes wardi) in Namling area in the East. My quest for it last year failed to yield any results. I am going to give it a shot this year too and hopefully, I will be luckier this time.
While in the East, I am also going to chase that most beautiful bird called the Satyr Tragopan (Tragopan satyra). I think it is Bhutan’s most beautiful bird. I do have a pretty good image of the bird, but I believe that one can always aspire for better ones.
One other bird that I want is the shy little bird called Beautiful Nuthatch (Sitta formosa) - one of Bhutan’s rarest and most popular birds. But every time I think of it, I am overwhelmed with despair. The bird lives and feeds so high up in the tree tops, it is very difficult to see them, let alone photograph them.

2 comments:

  1. My friend Karma Wangchuk is an adventurous guy, who sponsored a trainee from his college to give him ride from Paro-Tsirang-Gelephu-Zhemgang-Trongsa-Wangdue-to Paro on his motorcycle. He dropped at my place for a hurried cup of tea and showed what he got on his little digital camera... horn bill, golden langue, black eagle, and many other birds which he knows name and character and color, like his sisters...but pity his camera didn't do him much justices.
    Over the tea he told me about see you on the road with your giant camera waiting for something alone. I think the following bird must be your date then. He mentioned you to me because I have always mentioned you to him.
    I only hope two of you will meet one day to share the common love for wildlife. He has huge collection of wildlife paintings since 1989...he is an artist with great civic sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi PaSsu
    Perhaps, one day, our paths will cross. Perhaps, he too will take up photography seriously. In the meantime, all that he knows about birds, where they live, where they feed and how they behave will serve him well eventually - so he should continue to observe them carefully and keep records.

    ReplyDelete