Monday, November 9, 2020

An Alternate View To: What Is A Better Choice for Bhutan?

One of my other readers who is a management guru in the South Asia region, and a long time friend, responded to me as follows – to my Blog Post of yesterday. I am always amazed how people can write out such long, long WhatsApp messages. Why can't they sit down comfortably and write out an E-mail?

By the way I forgot to mention that the post yesterday was a response from another friend - she is an accomplished public health expert who writes and speaks on matters related to such issues that now face us.

--------------------------------

Thank you for the link. I was busy rushing a report to a client.

Your latest What Is A Better Choice during COVID-19 times, is exactly the strategy report I am currently to deliver to my client.

While I couldn’t go into details (client confidentiality agreement), my client’s country, since long time back, reskilling/retraining has already been in place for tourism industry players owing to various other reasons than the pandemic. I am pretty sure this is the first natural reaction from government authorities in Bhutan – that they have to source for alternative income than what tourism provides.

However, after so many years of having alternative segments and personnel able to multi-function, multi-task, in terms of tourism as a whole, the revenue impact is too great. There may be back-up sectors, but for my client country, nothing can ever take the place of tourism.

The projection is that even with vaccine, the volume is not going to catch up to the 2019 levels – until a few years later. But my client country cannot wait.

Therefore, the workarounds to veer around pandemic health dangers & constraints are to be put in place, so that tourism in various formats can begin already. My client country is not going to wait until the vaccine arrives or the pandemic blows over.

--------------------------------


No comments:

Post a Comment