Monday, June 30, 2014

A Beautiful Letter

Recently I received a beautiful and touching mail from an Indian traveler whom I met in Thimphu during his travels to Bhutan sometime back.

Quite often, I get told by some of my friends that they could not write to me because they were so busy that they simply could not find the time to do so. How plausible is that? I mean how believable is it that one cannot take out 5 lousy minutes to write few lines to a friend? You have got to be a prized Dodo if you are unable to reschedule 5 minutes of a day that has 720 minutes, to write to a friend to say you care!

You may notice that the young writer who authored the following mail, writes from the heart. And, it is evident that he has a very sensitive heart. In the few lines that would have taken him no more than 10 minutes, he lays bare his soul and manages to tell the story of his journeys and his life’s goals, his passion.

I loved the sensitivity of his writings and sought his permission to post it as an article on this Blog. He consented.

ENJOY!

----------------------------------------------------
 
Dear Yeshey,

Its been 4 years since you were kind enough to meet me on my travels. There are many intellectual debts one accrues while travelling and hence these are ones that must be acknowledged.

In my case those travels marked an important shift in the direction I choose to lead my life. I became an ecologist. I worked in the Southern Western Ghats for a year on a large mammal project, then went to study anthropology for a year while working with Hornbills in another landscape closer to home in Mumbai. I now make my way to study for a Master's in Environmental Sciences and Policy at Central European University in Budapest. They were kind enough to give me a scholarship. Despite my many attempts I have been unable to travel up north and as a consequence my yearning for returning to Bhutan grows with each passing day.

I also took up Photography as a hobby during that time and then laid my camera to rest because I felt that I had no right to capture something I wasn't going to protect. Eventually having convinced myself that I was working towards environmental protection in some form or the other I have picked up the camera again and also put up some of my work online. Your comments on my work would be wonderful. I have recently invested in a zoom lens most of my photos were shot on a 50mm so a 300mm will take a little while to get used to.

I've been thinking of drafting this mail for many months now but as a result of relatively busy schedule failed to find both the tranquility and composure that such mails deserve. I can hope you'll be able to forgive me for these transgressions.  

I hope things are good with you and I look forward to being able to meet you once again when an opportunity to return to mountains presents itself. If you find yourself travelling south to Mumbai do let me know, I'd be more than happy to show you around.

Warm regards


----------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment