Friday, July 3, 2015

My Progressive Demotion

At the end of day on 30th June, 2015, my term as the Club Secretary of the Rotary Club of Thimphu ended. The installation ceremony of the incoming officials for the year 2015-2016 was held on that evening. On this night, the incumbent Club officials handed over their pins and insignia and the Charter Certificate, and responsibilities, to a new set of Club officials who took over the management and administration of the Club and its affairs - until end of June, next year.

For the outgoing officials, it was a moment for reflection and introspection - on what they have achieved and how they have been able to serve the community and whether they have been able to live up to the Rotary spirit.

For those who have been elected to take up the reins of the Club and its affairs for the next one year, it was a moment to talk of new goals and directions they would set for the Club and its members – and to pronounce their will and determination to reinforce the ideals of selflessness that is at the core of Rotary spirit of giving and service.

As a pivotal mover and shaker in my capacity as the Club Secretary, I was happy to terminate my term of office - happy in the belief that I have made a difference and that I have given the very best that is in me. At long last, I now have the opportunity for a little rest and respite - from the weighty responsibilities of playing the efficient Club Secretary.

Looking back and recalling my involvement in the Rotary Club of Thimphu - from its inception in 2012, I am a little aghast that I have been steadily demoted in my position in the Club! :)-

It began with my appointment as a Charter Member of the Rotary Club of Thimphu, when it was formed on 24th of April, 2012. To this day I am clueless as to who bestowed upon me the honor of being nominated a Charter Member.

Even while I was traipsing in the jungles of Sengore and Yongkala in Mongaar photographing wild birds - without my knowledge, I was appointed Vice President of the Club!

Vice President Pin

In 2014, inspite of my very vehement protestations, I was appointed Club Secretary - a position one notch down the post of VP.

 Club Secretary's Pin

In the same year, I was named a Paul Harris Fellow and received my Pin “in appreciation of tangible and significant assistance given for the furtherance of better understanding and friendly relations among peoples of the world”.

My Paul Harris Fellow Pin

Early this year I received my Bronze Pin in recognition of my sponsoring two new Members to the Rotary fraternity.

 Membership Sponsorship Pin

Upon relinquishing my position as the Club Secretary, I am now an ordinary Member wearing the ordinary Rotary Pin :)-

Ordinary Rotary Pin

But that is the way the cookie crumbles :)- I am very happy though - because I am honored to be a Rotarian and I work tirelessly - in the service of my Club and the community! I am glad that we have a bunch of great Members who stand by each other and who make a great team!

2 comments:

  1. Yeshi, :) Please accept my heartiest congratulations on these splendid achievements... I have been saying to few of my fellow hardworking blogger that, ‘Like you, with perseverance, dedication, commitment, determination, stamina and resilience rarely need to be wished good luck because you make your own luck wherever you go.’ Keep moving with immense enthusiasm… and Keep inspiring us…
    Greetings From Trongsa 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rupa,
    Greetings from Thimphu... thank you for dropping by ... I visited your Blog but couldn't leave a comment unless I created a google profile which I didn't want to do ... so I am responding to you here in the hope that you will pass by here sometime soon and see this reply.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete