Saturday, March 5, 2022

The Ukraine Tragedy And The Danger It Represents To Humanity

Hi Brian,

Greetings from Bhutan. It is my hope that this finds you well and safe.

One Ms. Barb Roberts of Australia tells me that she has deposited a sum of $200.00 into the bank account of Disaster Aid Australia. I shall appreciate if you could acknowledge the same.

This money was intended to be paid to a Bhutanese student in Punakha - as her annual contribution towards the boy’s education. When she sought my help in remitting the money from Australia to Bhutan, I requested her to credit the amount into the DAA’s bank account and that I would pay the boy in Punakha - the counter value in local currency.

I would like to explain that this amount is a small amount that I am offering – not as a donation or as a contribution to augment the DAA’s endeavors to come to the aid of the human tragedy that is current in Ukraine. This amount represents my share - my due, as a member of the human society - towards the global community’s response with kindness and generosity - towards an act of mindless brutality by a man gone completely insane.

UN Security Council in session to discuss Ukraine tragedy

I accept that our engagement is not intended to influence the outcome of the invasion, but to help contain the humanitarian tragedy and suffering that is the fallout of this act of brutality by Russian President Putin. I am honored to channel my share through your organization - the DAA - an organization that has helped thousands of Bhutanese children through your one million dollars “BHUTAN2020” safe water project in Bhutan. It is my misfortune that I am in no position to honor DAA in more meaningful ways – than these words of gratitude expressed earnestly and with honesty.

What Putin has dared do in Ukraine sets a dangerous precedence. He has not only vandalized a peaceful country and its innocent people, he intimidated the global community with the threat of use of nuclear weapons. Wisely, the world leaders are aware of the outcome of such an eventuality. But Putin must be made aware that there are other ways in which he can be taught a lesson – that he may win a war – but he will lose the battle. No amount of justification is justification enough for the destruction of human life and properties that he is causing to the Ukrainians, and, through them the world community who too will stand to suffer in this interconnected world.

Allowing Putin to win is not an option. Particularly not for small countries like Bhutan and Taiwan. The world community needs to demonstrate to Putin and others like him waiting in the wings - that no one can, and should, act with such utter disregard for human decency – just because he has nuclear bombs as his bargaining chip.

Bye and take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment