Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Never Write Off Anything

After a marathon more than two months of chasing it - more than two hundred hours of tracking it - day after day, and having photographed the tiny fellow more than six hundred times, I am calling it a day. I believe that my quest for a near perfect image of the dainty fellow ends today - the image cannot get any better then my following image that I captured this morning.

Not PERFECT - but damn close to it!

Until today I had placed my trust on the camera’s various algorithms to do the job for me - it failed miserably. I employed, what I believed was the ideal camera setting – its AV Mode and Spot/Evaluative metering to record a well balanced image - both in sharpness and exposure. Nothing I did got me the image I wanted. Finally, this morning, in frustration, I decided to abandon technology – and place my trust on human ingenuity. I opted to use the camera’s Manual Mode – meaning I employed my brain and experience to override technology. That did the trick! – I finally got the image I wanted.

For a fast moving subject like a bird, Manual setting is simply unthinkable – it is just too slow. But as my above image will prove, sometimes the unthinkable delivers the goods! The lesson here is: NEVER WRITE OFF ANYTHING.

No comments:

Post a Comment