Saturday, September 14, 2024

The Man Who Overrode His Boss

I knew Lyonpo Yeshey Zimba from the time I was in the civil service. The news that he is no more comes to me as a matter of great loss - not of sadness.
Following on the footsteps of another incomparable Bhutanese - Lyonpo Ugyen Tshering - the nation has a reason for deep mourning - because God no longer creates men like them and their contemporaries - Lyoenchen JYT, Lyonpo Khandu and few others - they are/were a breed apart.

My personal knowledge of the man was as a person who possessed that rare and uncommon talent of being able to keep up people’s hope. Even in the face of insurmountable odds, Lyonpo somehow never allowed anyone to go away feeling hopeless. He may never be able to do what is asked of him - but he gave assurance that he would give his best which had a comforting effect on people in need of help. For me personally though - he was a man who had the guts to do what needed to be done.

It was during the mid 1990s when he was the Finance Secretary that there was an incident that left a lasting impression in my heart.

One particular Bhutanese importer had indulged in deflection of dutiable goods to India - meaning that import cargo intended to enter Bhutan never did - it was deflected to Indian market - duty free. Obviously, India objected with customary vehemence - with the result that Bhutan was forced to act firmly - to demonstrate to India that action was being taken.

The action that was taken was that the Ministry of Finance took over the responsibility and the authority - of issuing and signing the Import Licenses - it was earlier in the domain of Royal Bhutan Customs. True to character, the government officials were obviously clueless about the import documentation procedures that was pre-agreed between the GoI and the RGoB.

One of the specified conditions was that the signatory(s) of the Bhutanese authority(s) who signed the Import License should be registered with the Indian Customs in Calcutta. So, it happened that the Finance Ministry took over the authority to issue and sign the Import License - but they forgot about that minor detail about registering the signatures of the new signatories with the Indian Customs - with the result that Import Licenses issued and signed by the Finance Ministry officials got rejected. You can imagine the ensuing problems for the Bhutanese importers!

In the middle of all this mess, I had a problem of my own. I had ordered a sizeable number of container loads of photocopy papers from Malaysia. The goods were fully paid for and the consignment duly loaded on board the ship bound for Calcutta port - Bhutan's designated port of discharge.

I went to the Finance Minister to request for the issue of an Import License for my photocopy papers. He refused pointblank - on the grounds that the Bhutanese businessmen were irresponsible and that we were causing the country great harm!

“But Lyonpo, my cargo is already on the high seas and they have been fully paid for.”

“Nga Meshey - now leave me alone.”

I got out of his office and headed for the Finance Secretary’s office. The PA informed me that the Secretary was having his lunch …. I told her - no problem - please report to him that Q Yeshey is here to see him. As luck would have it …. the Secretary just then happened to stick out his head out of his office - and noticed that I was there ….

 “Wai Yeshey iimbey tey … are you here to see me?”

“Yes Sir … I need to see you.

“Please come in … I am in the middle of my lunch …. Do you want some?”

“Mizhu la … I had mine”

“OK then … what can I do for you”

“I am in need of an Import License for the import of some container loads of photocopy paper but the Finance Minister is adamant that I cannot have it”

“Why”

“He says the Bhutanese business people are tramaship. I would not have bothered – except that the cargo is already on the high seas and I have paid for them 100%”

“Wai, if the Lyonpo has refused you …. Are you asking me to override my boss?”

“Yes Dasho I am asking that --- because your boss has hot stone in his head - he is being irrational. The import documentation requirement may have changed - only to the extent that the Import License will hence forth be issued and signed by the Ministry of Finance. The rules and import procedures have not changed - they remain the same. So, it is unreasonable and unjustified that the Minister finds it necessary to refuse me Import License - just because he is irritated”.

The Secretary thought for a while and said;

“Iimbey mo - you have a point. There is no justification in refusing you. But what if the Lyonpo comes to know and questions me?”

“Please tell him that you were not aware that he had already refused.”

“Haha … this must be a first - that someone overrides his boss. But I believe that I will not be wrong to do it. Beygey tey mosh - I will see what happens!”

Those days, life was truly haphazard …. But the existence of people the likes of late Lyonpo Yeshey Zimba made it tolerable.

1 comment:

  1. I love the story. It s what makes us human with empathy and wisdom. Lyonpo Zimba belongs to the great souls that are immortal, courageous with an infectious kind smile. Will always be remembered. Patrizia

    ReplyDelete