Thursday, December 30, 2021

My Remaining Few Days in the Rotary

I have just two more days with the Rotary. Thus my final journey with the Rotary will be spent writing notes of Thank You to the network of donors spread across the globe - for their generous contributions to the cause of Bhutan and the Bhutanese people.


The insignia of Hope and Deliverance

---------------------------------------------------------------

Dear ………………….,

Greetings from Bhutan. It is my hope that this would find you and your family safe and in good health.

I am not sure if I have already informed you – if not this is my official intimation of my departure from the Rotary institution – not just the Rotary Club of Thimphu. Actually I had intended that I would depart at the end of June, 2021 but something came up and it was not appropriate for me to leave, thus I had to stay on for some more time.

As of 1st January, 2022, I will be focusing on my own life and affairs that have been on hold for the past 6 years – because I had to devote my time fully to the affairs of the Club, in my capacity as the Club’s Secretary, beginning from RI Year 2015-2016, until now. But now I am absolved of my out-of-turn responsibility and, thus, nothing will hold me back in the Rotary beyond December 31, 2021.

I will be suspending all communications with everybody - whether Club Members or international donor partners – on matters related to Rotary. But I will be available to all – any time and anywhere – on matters unrelated to Rotary.

I have already relinquished my post as the Club’s Secretary – preparatory to my departure, as of July 1, 2021. A new Club Secretary has taken charge as of this new RI Year and he and the Club President and the Sector Chairs will henceforth handle all matters related to Club work.

Attached to this mail are the contact details of R C Thimphu’s Club officials who are current as of this writing. I urge you to henceforth address all communications to them – depending on who you think is appropriate.

Thank you for making my journey with the Rotary a meaningful one. With your support I have been able to serve my community for the past six years as the Club Secretary – and ten years as a Rotarian. Please know that it is my belief that if there were anything called a House of God – the Rotary would be counted as that House.

If I have time and again taken advantage of your generosity – please forgive me – but know that in so doing, you gave meaning and hope to many in Bhutan. If I have knocked at your door more often then I should, please know that I did so because I happen to believe that a rich man is one who has the heart to give – I never, ever knock on a wealthy poor man’s door.

In parting, please accept my Thanks for your role in my success and in the success of my Club. You may be happy to know that by end of RI Year 2021-2022, with support from generous donors like yourself, in a short span of nine years since our Charter in 2012, the country’s lone Rotary Club will have delivered over Nu.150.00 million worth of community service projects across the length and breadth of the country.

I take this opportunity to wish you and your family a SUCCESSFUL & A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR. May you live long and happy so that you may continue to do good in this world.

Bye and take care …. I remain, most gratefully,

Yours in Rotary

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your service to the Nation:

    Good Afternoon, sir! This must a specially gratifying time for you to reflect upon what tangible service you have rendered to the country, not only in your years as a dedicated government official, but also as a enterprising businessman, and then as a Rotarian. For some, service to Tsa wa sum is nothing more than proudly wearing His Majesty's kupar on the outside (as we all should), but having no qualms about wasting government resources, dispensing nepotism and cronyism in their duties, using state resources to build social and personal capital, and failing in their duties to the country. With the amount of people that were awarded the responsibility by His Majesty himself over the last 15 years, our country should be well ahead of where it is now. Accountability should start with this group first. I hope you get some time to focus on other meaningful things in the rest of your life. But somehow, I know, you will not be far from another great service to the nation. People like you wear His Majesty's kupar on the inside and always have the interest of our country on your mind. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Anon,

    Thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Acho Yeshey,

    As a fan of your blog and an admirer of your social work, on one hand I feel sad that you are quiting an organization you love and dedicated your life to. The country and people will ever remain grateful to you for the huge funds you mobilized for public benefit causes through the Club. The Club I am sure will be sad too that it can no longer have your service.

    You have penned the most graceful exit note. It is such a delight to read it on.

    People will understand that you need some quiet private time.

    Every exit is an entry somewhere else.

    Wishing you the best as you enter into a new phase of life.

    A well-wisher



    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dr. Phunsho,

    Thank you ... indeed I do need some quite time for myself .... henceforth I intend to focus on my coffee table book on the coinages of Bhutan. That one need no less dedication and hard work.

    ReplyDelete