Friday, July 22, 2022

The Laborious Process of Winning Over Visitors

 Hi ……………. ,
 
Thank you for your mail. I would like to answer you as follows:
 
Orientation towards nature and wildlife:
If your thing is more for nature and wildlife, I would like to remove Bumthang from the itinerary and, instead, replace it with Zhemgang. Zhemgang is home to some rare and near endemic animals and birds. You can see the Gee’s Golden Langur – an extremely rare primate that is found only in Bhutan and in a small pocket of upper Assam in India. You can also see the rare Rufous-nacked Hornbill – it is estimated that only about 10,000 individuals of these huge birds are in existence in the world. You can also see the Great Hornbill.

With luck, we can sight the Red Panda – but the fellow is a very elusive animal – so chances are that we may have to give it a miss.
 
I attach herewith the images of Gee’s Golden Langur, Red Panda and the Rufous-necked Hornbill – all photographed by me.

The rare threesome

Fortunately, I am aware that Binturong is listed as a mammal that is found in Bhutan. Unfortunately I do not know where they are found. I will find out and let you know.
 
In order that you have more days for nature and wildlife, I will also remove Gasa from the itinerary. Instead I will add one additional day in the beautiful Phobjikha valley – a valley that I consider the very best in Bhutan. You and Katie can do a whole day nature walk – I will arrange to pack lunch during the trip. Maybe, if you enjoy it enough, you can walk all the way to Khotokha - another stunning valley. Phobjikha is also the wintering grounds for the Black-necked Cranes – but I am afraid that the birds would have returned to the Tibetan Plateau by the time you arrive here.

I urge you to pack walking shoes – and a light jacket since Phobjikha can be chilly. Also remember to pack sunshades and lotion – at our altitudes the sun does not make you sweat – but sears you. Walking sticks are not needed since you will be walking over level grounds.
 
The Takin, Bhutan’s national animal can be viewed – but in captivity – in a zoo in Thimphu.
 
I did not include Taktsang since the Tourism Council of Bhutan had announced this month that visitors would be charged Nu.2,000.00 per person per visit. I prefer to wait for you to arrive here and decide whether the place is worth paying Nu.2,000.00. As you have rightly noticed, my proposed itinerary does not include visits to any Dzongs and popular temples like Taktsang – since you have to pay to access them, and pretty hefty sums at that, I prefer that you make the decision after arriving here.
 
I have included River Rafting in Punakha – a friend owns a rafting company there. You will actually do river rafting and love it – and it is on the house! Just brace yourselves to be drenched by copious amounts of glacial water as you glide down the azure Punatsangchu River.
 
I can arrange a session in traditional Bhutanese archery shooting – I will arrange it in Zhemgang, by the banks of the mighty Mangdechu - one of the principal rivers in Bhutan that hosts the annual migration run by the endangered Golden Mahseer - one of the biggest fresh water fish of the world.
 
Unfortunately there are no Tsechus during your planned trip.
 
I will be happy to arrange for you and Katherine to learn how to make Momos – we leave that towards the end of the trip – maybe in Paro.
 
Please do not worry about all the questions and suggestions – Bhutan is becoming increasingly dearer for people to visit – thus the onus is on the likes of me to make it as meaningful for you as existing conditions will permit.
 
Please confirm that replacing Bumthang with Zhemgang finds acceptance with you – thereafter I will forward to you a reworked itinerary. I will also submit to you the trip costing sheet for your approval and acceptance.
 
Bye and take care

2 comments:

  1. Isn,t the Mangdechu already "dammed"? Which river is the MHPP on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My apologies - I was confusing the Mangdechu for Chamkharchu. I have made the correction. You are right - Mangdechu is already dammed for the MHPP.

      Delete