Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Bird Watching in Bhutan

Hi Peter,

Greetings from Bhutan. I hope you are keeping well and safe.

The last I read, you are listed at the third place among world's top birders, and your bird count is listed at 9,684 species.

One of the two "life birds" for which Peter Kaestner came to Bhutan.

Have you improved on this? I have been asked to write an article by the Tourism Council of Bhutan (TCB) on birding in Bhutan and you will find mention in the article - having come to Bhutan for two of your life birds. I would like to get my facts right --- thus I would like your confirmation.

By the way, should you wish to come for a repeat visit to Bhutan - I am happy to inform you that we are opening for tourism towards the end of September 2022.

Have you sighted the Beautiful Nuthatch? If not I am happy to report that the vulnerable bird can now be sighted at Chhukha, an area that you can access on the same day of landing in Paro. 

Bye and take care --- and it was an honor to have guided you during your birding trip to Bhutan in 2009.

Yeshey Dorji
.........................................

UPDATE FROM PETER THIS MORNING:

So good to hear from you.  I have wonderful memories of my visit to Bhutan.  You were a wonderful help.

My list today is 9,685, as I saw a new bird on Saturday (Caspian Tit). I would love to come back some day to Bhutan, especially with my wife.  There are not many possible birds for me in your beautiful country.  They are:

Himalayan Thrush, Rufous-vented Laughingthrush, and Blanford’s Rosefinch.

Best wishes,

Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment