Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Death by Ladoog X

Ladoog” is a deathly condition that can result in fatality. And yet, it is the most misunderstood of all maladies. It is a sickness brought on by high altitude. There is this totally uneducated belief that since we are mountain people, we cannot be affected by it. That is totally wrong – we can be and we have been. I am told that few deaths had occurred during the operation “Lower the Thorthormi Tso” few years back. I can tell you that those would have been caused by AMS – but blamed them on Ladoog – mountain poison.

Having come to know of a near death experience by a friend who had gone to Laya and who did not know that she was afflicted by AMS, I wrote a series of articles on the issue. Between 19th to 30th of October 2021, I wrote nine articles on the subject. I even requested the BBS to do a Dzongkha program on the subject because I notice that lot of Bhutanese go on pilgrimages to high altitude places and some deaths have occurred – I was witness to one in Singye Dzong. Despite my repeated requests to descend to a lower altitude, the group refused to do so - with the result that one group member died of AMS, on the third day. The Bhutan Broadcasting Service (BBS) agreed to air the program but there was no one to come on camera and speak authoritatively on the subject – I could not because my Dzongkha is not so good.

My series on Ladoog - Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS) – or simply altitude sickness was earlier categorized under “Health”. But because of its importance, I have this morning segregated it from “Health” and gave it a separate category – "Death by Ladoog". I did this because I want my readers to read the series and be better educated on what AMS is all about. I have also included exhaustive tips on how to prepare for high altitude treks.

I urge you to read, I repeat please read the series at:
I took the pain so that you may be better prepared to tackle Ladoog that can mean sure death - if you do not know what to do or how to tackle it. Ofcourse not all of us are susceptible to it – but a large number of us are.

ENJOY!!

AFTERTHOUGHT:
I hear that some pilgrimages are conducted by helicopter - say, for instance, to Nob Tsonapata to the north of Haa. This is terrible news particularly where people expect to spend days at the pilgrimage sites. Going by helicopter to high altitude sites and spending days there can be dangerous. The reason is that you gain height all of a sudden. For people who are susceptible to AMS, this is very dangerous and can be fatal. You must gain height gradually so that your body has the time to adjust to the changing barometric pressure.

Strangely the TCB - the regulatory authority - does not regulate trekking - they don't even know if the guides who are leading high altitude treks are qualified and knowledgeable on AMS related issues. TCB should regulate and also train trekking guides on AMS and on emergency evacuation procedures in cases of AMS.

No comments:

Post a Comment